Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Trave(b)logue


Been traveling again. Three hotels in two weeks. And all in the same city. Sounds crazy. Feels crazier still in reality. I can't imagine how the backpack travelers go about their road trip. But there have been some positives. For example, I can wake up and go to work without having to worry about making the bed in the morning. I can just walk into any food joint and eat something and need not bother to wash the dishes for dessert. But the best is yet to come.

A nice calm beach. Setting Sun. Seagulls hovering around the pier. Kids building sand castles. Grown-ups having a good time. And you in the middle of it after having a difficult day at the office. It is difficult to imagine such a scene in the middle of a city. However, it is true. Tucked away in a corner of San Francisco's busy Fisherman's Wharf is one such little beach. No sign of frenetic activity and a picture of perfect serenity. When you are sitting by yourself in such a setting, its difficult not to relax. As the breeze blows I see this pretty lady in a miniskirt that is too short to keep the chill out but is of the right length to warm me up (without the need of a jacket). And then some more pretty girls (who need jogging just as much as a fish needs a mobike) jogging by in their designer jogging suits. Nice. Just cross the street from Ghirardelli Square and there you are right on this waterfront. I guess the city civic officials try hard to maintain such pockets of sanity intact. Full marks to them.

Discovering such spots that isolate you from the hustle and bustle of the city and providing a moment of peace is enough to make such long travels worthwhile. Thus said Confucius.

No comments:

2018 - Thattathin Marayathu to '96 and an Apple Watch

The title of this post kind of sums up my 2018. I admit that I have been quite irregular updating my blog for the past few years. Having ...